- CU Presents announces 2013-14 season - May 2, 2013
CU Presents recently announced the 2013-14 season at Macky Auditorium, appealing to the "cultural omnivore" in all of us. More from the Daily Camera, here. We are excited to share with you the list of CU Presents shows coming to Macky next season: ...
- ‘Chasing Ice’ Filmmaker to Discuss His Gripping Glacial Photography and Debut Unseen Footage at Macky Auditorium, April 1 - March 18, 2013
Filmmaker and adventurer James Balog will share his stirring and beautiful glacial photography revealing changes in climate at a free event at 7 p.m., Monday, April 1 in the University of Colorado Boulder’s Macky Auditorium. The event, “A Conversation with James Balog on the Art of Chasing Ice,” is hosted by Earth Vision Trust and CU-Boulder’s Inside the Greenhouse, a multidimensional project that explores the nexus of environmental science and the arts and humanities.
- Aziz Ansari: Buried Alive - Comes to Macky on May 8 - March 6, 2013
Program Council is excited to bring Aziz Ansari to Boulder as part of his third nationwide tour, "Buried Alive." When speaking of the idea behind this tour, Ansari says that the thought of “settling down” is “like being buried alive,” providing ample material. He is currently starring in the popular TV series "Parks and Recreation," is developing a number of films and recently released his second hour-long standup special, “Dangerously Delicious,” online at AzizAnsari.com for $5.
- Spring Swing concert rescheduled - February 25, 2013
The Spring Swing concert has been rescheduled for Sunday, March 3, 2013 at 2pm at Macky Auditorium. Your original tickets will be valid for the performance this Sunday; you do not need new tickets. If you cannot make the rescheduled performance, please contact the box office at 303-492-8008 by Friday, March 1 at 4:00pm to arrange for an exchange or refund. CU Presents' normal business hours are Monday-Friday from 9am-4pm.
- From the Creator of the Golden Dragons Acrobats, CIRQUE ZIVA! - February 5, 2013
Live@MACKY welcomes to Boulder CIRQUE ZIVA, on Sunday, April 28, 2013 at 3 p.m. Cirque Ziva is the latest creation of Danny Chang (Golden Dragon Acrobats), one of the world's leading promoters of Chinese acrobatics, and renowned lighting director Tonny Tucci (American Ballet Theatre, Alvin Ailey, 1996 Summer Olympics).
- BMoCA at Macky - Kerry Cannon: Alchemy - January 11, 2013
BMoCA at MACKY, an exciting collaboration between Boulder Museum of Contemporary Artand [intlink id="52" type="page"]The Andrew J. Macky Gallery[/intlink], is located in the foyer of the Macky Auditorium Concert Hall at the University of Colorado Boulder. This series of exhibitions is curated by BMoCA as an extension to its rotating exhibition schedule.The fourth edition of BMoCA at MACKY presents works by Kerry Cannon, and will be on view at the Macky Gallery from January 11 to March 24.
- The Results Are In! The 10 Most Popular Shows of 2012 Are... - December 28, 2012
The results of the poll of the 10 most popular shows of 2012 at Macky Auditorium are in. Some staple shows remain in the list while others have dropped. The competition was fierce, to say the least.
- Good vs. Evil: An Evening with Anthony Bourdain & Eric Ripert - November 12, 2012
Join Anthony Bourdain and his good friend, Eric Ripert – internationally renowned chefs, authors, and television personalities – as they share stories and muse on the place of food in our personal, community, and global life. Their Good vs. Evil tour will visit Boulder for one night only, Sunday, April 14th at Macky Auditorium. It will be a truly engaging evening of storytelling and observation, providing frank and provocative insight into what really goes on behind kitchen doors.
- BMoCA at Macky: The Eye Awake - November 8, 2012
BMoCA at MACKY, an exciting collaboration between Boulder Museum of Contemporary Artand [intlink id="52" type="page"]The Andrew J. Macky Gallery[/intlink], is located in the foyer of the Macky Auditorium Concert Hall at the University of Colorado Boulder. This series of exhibitions is curated by BMoCA as an extension to its rotating exhibition schedule.The third edition of BMoCA at MACKY presents works by Ian Fisher and Matthew Harris, and guest curated by Cortney Lane Stell, director of the Phillip J. Steel Gallery. This will be on view at the Macky Gallery from November 8, 2012 to January 2, 2013.
- Richard Dawkins Lecture - October 5, 2012
Dawkins navigates between mythology and evidence-based understanding of the natural world.
- BMoCA at Macky: River School - August 28, 2012
The second edition of BMoCA at MACKY presents paintings of Denver artist Beau Carey. This will be on view at The Macky Gallery from August 30 to October 28, 2012.
- Eddie Izzard - CU Student Discount - August 11, 2012
CU Students get at $5 discount on tickets for Eddie Izzard. Buff OneCard needed or entry to the hall.
- Eddie Izzard - CU Faculty/Staff Pre-Sale - August 7, 2012
CU FACULTY/STAFF PRE-SALE starts Thu, August 9 at 10 a.m.
- Eddie Izzard - CU Alumni Pre-Sale - August 7, 2012
CU ALUMNI PRE-SALE starts Thu, August 9 at 10 a.m.
- Eddie Izzard - CU Student Pre-Sale - August 2, 2012
CU STUDENTS PRE-SALE & $5 DISCOUNT starts Mon, August 6 at 10 a.m.
- Macky Announces Show with British Comedian Eddie Izzard - July 9, 2012
We are excited to announce a show with British stand-up comedian Eddie Izzard, on Saturday, October 13 at 8 p.m. (doors open 7 p.m.).
- CU Boulder hosts the 14th International Congress of Quantum Chemistry - June 18, 2012
The 14th International Congress of Quantum Chemistry will be held in Boulder, Colorado. Organized by the International Academy of Quantum Molecular Science, the welcome reception begins at 16:00 on Monday, June 25 and the closing ceremony ends at 12:30 on Saturday, June 30.
- Mahler's "Resurrection" Symphony at Macky - May 15, 2012
This Saturday and Sunday, May 19 and 20, Macky is hosting the MahlerFest orchestra in their 25th anniversary season. Nothing more appropriate than the monumental Symphony No. 2 "Resurrection." The Daily Camera's classical music writer Kelly Dean Hansen...
- BMoCA at Macky: "No Longer In My Hands" by Terry Campbell - April 3, 2012
BMoCA at Macky April 6–May 27, 2012 We are excited to announce our new project, BMoCA AT MACKY, a new collaboration between Boulder Museum of Contemporary Art and [intlink id="52" type="page"]The Andrew J. Macky Gallery[/intlink], located in the fo...
- Artist Series' 75th Anniversary Video wins Telly Award - March 13, 2012
This season the Artist Series is celebrating its 75th anniversary. The video below shows this great achievement, looking back at a wonderful history of performances at Macky Auditorium. The video, produced by Omni Media Services, recently won the Telly...
- UPDATE: Brett Dennen at Macky – Tickets on Sale Now - March 12, 2012
UPDATE 2: Click on the icon below for tickets. If you are a CU Boulder student, [intlink id="1952" type="page"]click here[/intlink]. UPDATE 1: Tickets are $25 + applicable fees. $10 discount for CU Boulder students (more details to come...
- Now at the Macky Gallery: Jim Sidinger - February 21, 2012
The Eastern Plains of Colorado are definitely not empty of interest and devoid of beauty, as those who only photograph in the mountains might have you believe. This show of a few of my Eastern Colorado images is my attempt to offer you proof.
- Review: Neil deGrasse Tyson inspires at Macky - February 17, 2012
CU Independent's Robert Denton reviews Dr. Tyson's talk at Macky. “We have stopped innovating on the space frontier,” Tyson said. “Until I can look at a Saturn V rocket and not be amazed by it, we are behind.”
- Driving to Macky during Broadway construction - February 3, 2012
The City of Boulder is currently building transportation improvements on Broadway (Euclid to 18th). Traffic through this area is limited; if you are coming from Denver/South on Broadway or West via CO 93-Broadway, delays can affect your arrival to Mack...
- Coming to Demetri Martin tonight? Plan for weather - February 2, 2012
We'll definitely will have snow coming to the Front Range later tonight so please plan accordingly for the Demetri Martin's "Telling Jokes in Cold Places" Show. Here are some pointers: Doors open at 7 p.m., show starts at 8 p.m. Weather: Her...
- Neil deGrasse Tyson to speak at CU Boulder - January 23, 2012
The CU Distinguished Speakers Board is proud to announce that renowned astrophysicist Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson will be speaking at the University of Colorado’s Macky Auditorium Concert Hall on February 15th, 2012. Dr. Tyson will be speaking on the...
- Now at The Macky Gallery: Gunbarrel 3 - January 10, 2012
January 11 – February 15 Three local artists from diverse backgrounds: Lamya Deeb, who grew up in the city of Beirut, Lebanon; Ani Espriella from Colombia and Miami; Yuki Mikle from Japan. They now live within a block of each other in a Gunb...
- Preview: French Impressions with Benjamin Hochman - January 10, 2012
The Daily Camera's Kelly Dean Hansen writes a preview of this weekend's Boulder Phil concert, French Impressions, featuring award-winning pianist Benjamin Hochman. Works by Maurice Ravel, George Gershwin, Erik Satie and Howard Hanson. "Fluidity and ...
- Macky supporter Walter Koelbel Sr. passes away - January 4, 2012
Walter Koelbel Sr. (Mktg’47), a Forever Buff who contributed his time, money and heart to CU, died during the holidays. He was instrumental in making the 1986 Macky renovation project a fundraising success and a palpable reality. Later on, after a ...
- The Results are in! The Best 10 Shows at Macky in 2011 - December 31, 2011
The results of the poll of the 10 most popular shows of 2011 at Macky Auditorium are in. The very eclectic list shows the great variety of events that Macky hosts through the season.
- Your Opinion: Best of Macky in 2011 - December 18, 2011
It's the time of the year when all sorts of "best of" lists come out, and since Macky hosts dozens of events a year, we thought we can also enter the game. Let us know your opinion and vote on the 10 best events of the year!
- UPDATE: "An Evening With Common" Cancelled - December 6, 2011
Due to circumstances out of our control, "An Evening With Common" has been cancelled. If you purchased Community Tickets ($20), we sent an email to you with this note; your tickets will be refunded automatically. We apologize for the inconvenienc...
- Holiday Festival tickets just released! - December 1, 2011
Tickets for the Holiday Festival this Friday through Sunday have just been released. Shows are almost sold out, so don't go through the holidays without your fix of yuletide cheer!
- Demetri Martin @ Macky - On Sale this Friday - November 14, 2011
DEMETRI MARTIN is a person. He lives on either side of the country, near the water (but not that close to it). He writes and tells jokes. He worked as a writer on Late Night with Conan O’Brien. He worked as a contributor on The Daily Show with Jon ...
- Lael Har, Now at the Macky Gallery - November 10, 2011
Silence & Movement November 9 - December 7 Represented in this show is a culmination of several themes; abstract waterscapes i call "living water", canoe painting in a series called "the other shore", aspens, and poppy paintings. All the...
- The iPad will be obsolete in 100 years afterall... - October 14, 2011
The Daily Camera's Brittany Anas covers the Macky Time Capsule ceremony.
- The Great Plains Rodeo Collection - October 3, 2011
Erik Stenbakken has been photographing his surroundings since second grade. He's gotten better since then, but he still has the same curiosity and wonder that make him eager to see the world through a camera's lens.
- Macky is now officially in Foursquare! - September 17, 2011
It was about time, huh? Macky Auditorium Concert Hall is now in Foursquare, so those of you that live "connected" can now check in and take advantage of our partners' promotions and offers for ticket discounts and other perks.
- Macky Centennial Commemorative Ornament still available! - September 14, 2011
In celebration of Macky Auditorium's centennial celebrations, Historic Boulder designed and produced a magnificent ornament.
- Boulder Phil opens season with Bach and Mahler - September 14, 2011
Contrast is the operative word for the Boulder Phil's season opening concert. Two major works by two giants of music, J. S. Bach's Concerto in D minor for keyboard with award-winning pianist Hsing-ay Hsu, and Gustav Mahler's First Symphony. The Daily C...
- Music Inspired by Children - August 31, 2011
The CU-Boulder Wind Symphony and Symphonic Band present their season opening concert, "Music Inspired by Children," on Tuesday, September 13 at 7:30 p.m. in Macky Auditorium. Conducted by Allan McMurray, Matthew Roeder, with guest conductor...
- A look inside the Austin Organ - August 16, 2011
As we were getting ready for the 2011-12 season, the Austin Organ needed one of the casters changed. Since the best access is from the inside, we couldn't help taking advantage of the rare moment and take a picture, for the benefit of the Austin Organ'...
- Parking around Macky gets a little bit easier - July 13, 2011
The University adds parking spaces around Macky, with fees on weekdays after 5 p.m. and on weekends remaining at $3. Planning ahead may help you get a parking space close to Macky!
- The Wrench of Destiny! - July 6, 2011
When you are talking big pipes installed at Macky, you need the appropriate tool: The Wrench of Destiny!
- Macky Auditorium is set for a summer of much needed renovations - June 12, 2011
Now that the students are gone for the summer, it's a great time to start a couple of major projects, long time in the wish list: Fire Suppression and Evaporative Cooling. The Fire Suppression Project has been in the works since 2007. Macky Auditori...
- MahlerFest XXIV preview - May 19, 2011
Boulder Weekly's Peter Alexander previews MahlerFest XXIV and interviews the festival creator, Robert Olson. "As for the featured piece this weekend, Mahler’s Fifth Symphony, 'the whole piece is a journey of joyous celebration, Olson says. 'It’...
- The next generation of pickers and fiddlers - May 16, 2011
Can't help but notice how insanely good these kids are in what they do.
- Philadelphia Philanthropist buttresses Boulder's MahlerFest - May 13, 2011
The Daily Camera's Wes Blomster writes about the interaction between Dan Dietrich and MahlerFest. Based in Philadelphia, Dietrich came to the Boulder's festival via New York.
- J-School diplomas become "collector items" - May 6, 2011
That's sportswriter Rick Relly observation as he delivered the CU's Journalism & Mass Communication School's last commencement speech. “We'll be fine,” he told the graduates. “You guys should hang on to those diplomas. They're like collectors' items. It's like 'Donald Trump for President' bumper stickers or polar bears. You'll never see them again.”
- The Austin Organ at Macky takes part in a bittersweet moment - May 5, 2011
In one of those rare opportunities we have our clients use the Austin Organ, we witnessed a bittersweet moment at the last Journalism & Mass Communications School commencement. As it's been widely publicized, the J-School will be discontinued by June 30 (more here, it seems that's far from over...).
- NEA finds Americans expend more on Performing Arts than on Movies - May 3, 2011
In a study titled Time and Money, released Thursday, the National Endowment for the Arts shows that Americans expend more money in the performing arts than in movies. A big surprise for some people. Still, sports are the big recipients of the public...
- Review of Rodrigo y Gabriela at Macky - April 30, 2011
The duo left the audience in a frenzy as they bid farewell with a copious amount of thank you’s, a promise to return, and one heart-felt "gracias."
- Noam Chomsky: Is the World Too Big to fail? - April 21, 2011
In advance of his appearance in Boulder this week for the KGNU fundraising, we post below quotes and the link to Noam Chomsky's latest blog entry, adapted from a talk he gave in Amsterdam in March.
- MIT Professor and 2004 Nobel Laureate Frank Wilczek Lecture Preview - April 19, 2011
Boulder Channel 1 previews Dr. Frank Wilczek's at Macky for the 46th Gamow Lecture on Tuesday, April 26. It is a great time to be a physicist and witness remarkable advances — like the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) — that will mark the next step in human advancement.
- The Stars of The Peking Acrobats this Sunday! - April 12, 2011
They defy gravity with amazing displays of contortion, flexibility, and control. They push the envelope of human possibility with astonishing juggling dexterity and incredible balancing feats, showcasing tremendous skill and ability. They are masters of agility and grace.
- Five Questions for Rudy Betancourt, Director of Macky - March 31, 2011
The CU Faculty & Staff Newsletter's Jay Dendrick interviews the director of Macky, Rudy Betancourt. About the live music experience: "People may see the same artist on YouTube, but they won't feel that kind of almost religious experience that's at a live performance
- Rodrigo y Gabriela 4/27 Community Tickets Sold Out - March 30, 2011
The Rodrigo y Gabriela performance has been officially postponed from Friday, April 1st to Wednesday, April 27th. The event will take place in Macky Auditorium beginning at 8:00PM, with doors at 7:00PM. The date change comes as a result of an unforeseen scheduling conflict with the performers, completely out of the control of the University of Colorado. We sincerely apologize for the date change and are doing everything possible to minimize inconvenience for current ticket-holders.
- Former President of Mexico Vicente Fox speaks at Macky - March 30, 2011
Former President of Mexico Vicente Fox is speaking at Macky Auditorium on Wednesday, April 13 at 7:30 p.m. by invitation of the Distinguished Speakers Board, a student organization.
- The Colorado Music Hall of Fame Opens - March 28, 2011
This coming Earth Day Eve, Thursday April 21, the Colorado Music Hall of Fame opens at the 1stBank Center in Broomfield. The legendary pop superstar John Denver is to be inducted in the special benefit concert celebrating his music and life, hosted by...
- A CU alumnus' memories of Macky Auditorium - March 22, 2011
University of Colorado alumnus Carlton Stoiber (A&S’64, Law’69) remembers his experiences as a student from the perspective of Macky as a place that provided a constant source of inspiration, solace, strength and hope.
- Your choice: What do you want to come see at Macky? - March 20, 2011
We live in an era of constant access to entertainment, from MP3s to stream video direct to your TV. But nothing actually compares to the experience of live entertainment. That's what Macky excels at, right? We are curious to know what you would like to...
- UPDATE 2: Rodrigo y Gabriela play Macky on April 1 at 8 p.m. - March 19, 2011
PUBLIC TICKETS ARE NOW SOLD OUT. STUDENT TICKETS ARE STILL AVAILABLE AT THE UMC CONNECTION w/ VALID BUFFONE CARD.
- CWA Preview: Egyptian activist Gigi Ibrahim at Macky - March 18, 2011
We just got word that Egyptian activist Gigi Ibrahim will be at the Conference on World Affairs during a plenary at Macky.
- AV Club previews Elizabeth Gilbert at Macky - March 16, 2011
The Onion's AV Club previews "Beyond Eat Pray Love, an evening with Elizabeth Gilbert." The event is here at Macky, on Sunday, March 27 at 3 p.m. Tickets online here.
- David Crosby and Graham Nash to close the Conference on World Affairs - March 9, 2011
Legendary musicians David Crosby and Graham Nash will be the special guests at the closing plenary of the Conference on World Affairs.
- UPDATED: The Stars of the Peking Acrobats return to Macky - March 2, 2011
Live@MACKY welcomes back to Boulder THE STARS OF THE PEKING ACROBATS, on Sunday, April 17, 2011 at 4 p.m. The Peking Acrobats, a troupe of China's most gifted tumblers, contortionists, jugglers, cyclists, and gymnasts will bring their 2,000-year-old tradition of acrobatics. This event is sponsored by the Daily Camera and KUNC 91.5 FM.
- A case for more performing arts spaces in Boulder - February 28, 2011
Dan Seger, board president of the Boulder Bach Festival makes a case for building a 500-900 seat performing arts venue in the heart of Boulder. As the Daily Camera moves to its new location, the block of 11th and Pearl St. is vacant. This block is curr...
- Violinist Hahn proves her pluck - February 23, 2011
Denver Post's classical music writer Kyle McMillan reviews Hilary Hahn's performance with pianist extraordinaire Valentina Lisitsa (who was in Boulder last year during the Colorado Music Festival).
- CU's Glenn Miller Archive acquires one of world's best Big Band Era collections - February 22, 2011
Our friends at the American Music Research Center have acquired the magnificent Ed Burke Collection, which includes unique and rare Big Band era recordings and memorabilia.
- Boulder Philharmonic's American-theme program deserves salute - February 21, 2011
A recent review by Denver Post's Sabine Kortals of the Boulder Philharmonic's concert last February 19, celebrating America in music.
- Bill Nye Encourages University of Colorado to Change the World - February 18, 2011
A great account of Bill Nye's sold out presentation at Macky Auditorium, from the CU Independent, via Huffington Post.
- Preview of Boulder Phil's New Worlds Celebration - February 2, 2011
Boulder Philharmonic Music Director Michael Butterman previews the upcoming Friday, February 19 concert, featuring Grammy winner artist Richard Stoltzman. Tickets available a BoulderPhil.org.
- Bill Maher will be here, allright ... Sat April 9 - January 31, 2011
Tickets on sale via TicketMaster at 10 a.m., Sat, Feb 10 at http://bit.ly/MaherAtMacky Enough said ... more info at BillMaher.com
- Boulder Weekly previews Joshua Redman Trio's concert - January 20, 2011
The Boulder Weekly published today a great preview of Joshua Redman's concert at Macky this Sunday, January 23. "...Redman pushes to keep things fresh. Searching for new material might lead to a live performance of Coldplay’s “Clocks” or a L...
- Macky Auditorium is now a member of PLASA - January 13, 2011
We are proud to announce that Macky Auditorium has been accepted as a member of the Professional Lighting And Sound Association, PLASA. PLASA is “the lead international membership body for those who supply technologies and services to the event, e...
- Caring for the Environment at Macky Auditorium (Part I) - January 10, 2011
Macky Auditorium is celebrating its centennial this concert season. It has been operating virtually without pause since 1923, and as one of the few fully working historic performing arts venues in the United States, striving to be as environmentally co...
- The Results Are In! Best of Macky in 2010 - December 30, 2010
The results of the poll of the 10 best shows of 2010 at Macky Auditorium are in. The very eclectic list shows the great variety of events that Macky hosts through the season.
- From Jazz Standards to Coldplay, the Joshua Redman Trio Rocks - December 28, 2010
What: Joshua Redman Trio with Matt Penman & Gregory Hutchinson When: Sunday, January 23, 2011 at 7:30 p.m. Where: Macky Auditorium Concert Hall, University of Colorado at Boulder. 17th & University Ave., Boulder, CO 80309 Admission: Tickets...
- Happy Holidays! The Gift of Live Music - December 15, 2010
Thank you again for visiting us. Have a wonderful holiday season and a the most successful year 2011. Have you thought this holiday season about giving the gift of live music?
- Danú Brings the Strawboy to Macky - December 14, 2010
Sometimes you can find strange things happening at Macky, sometimes hilarious, other times educative, most times hilariously educative.
- Alan Cass: A Ubiquitous Presence at Macky Since 1953 - December 9, 2010
Alan's ubiquitous presence at Macky has served as the common thread between major events: From the age of ten, as the son of Macky's stage manager, to taking the job himself in 1968, to currently serving in many capacities while retired.
- Welcome to our new Website - November 28, 2010
We are proud to introduce our new website to our audiences and patrons. Here you can find many new features that will help you enhance your visit to our venue: From interactive event calendar features, to complete resources for you to plan your experience, to links to our social media sites in Facebook and Twitter.